Sunday, December 29, 2013

Games with dogs: Rules for tug.



Tug: 
As Jean Donaldson points out in her outstanding book, The Culture Clash, tug is a great game to teach dogs, as long as you play with rules.  Many training books advise against teaching dogs tug for fear it will make them aggressive or “dominant,” especially if you let them win.  But my own experience tells me this is not generally true, although I certainly wouldn’t play tug with an out-of-control, untrained dog or one that has not learned a proper “drop-it.”  As far as the dog winning, I have seen this technique build confidence in shy dogs, and I have seen many dogs of various breeds trained for Flyball with a tug-toy.  These dogs are almost always allowed to win, and I have never seen any of them become aggressive or dominant yet!  They do become very enthusiastic at tug, though, which makes it all the more effective as a reward.
So what are the rules?  Here are some generalities I have adapted from Donaldson’s book, from Laura Garris of Doggie Do Right Dog Training in Elizabeth City, and from my own experience.  If you try these suggestions and have any difficulties, I suggest your read the thorough “Tug of War Rules” section of Donaldson’s book for further details:
  1. My dogs only play tug with me (or at least with a trusted adult that knows the rules).  Due to the possibility of overexcitement, knocking a child down, or even grazing them with an errant tooth, and due to a child’s lacking an adult’s judgment, this is an “adults-only” game.
  2. I play tug with only one dog at a time.  Tug generates too much excitement and requires too much concentration on my part to be a group activity.  If you have to, put one dog in another room, crate him, or tether him at a safe distance while you play with the other.  My dog, Aqua, holds a solid down-stay, so I have her practice stays amid distractions while I tug with Terra, but this is a behavior I had to train into the dog and build up to.  Her reward?  A tasty treat and her turn at tug!
  3. I avoid eye contact with the dog while teaching tug.  I find my dogs enjoy their tug more and feel less inhibited if I avoid hard stares.  Every dog is different, so keep in mind what your own dog can tolerate or finds enjoyable.
  4. The dogs must promptly drop the tug when I tell them to.  To teach this, teach object-exchanges first.  Treat the tug-toy as another object with which to practice exchanges.  When the dog releases the toy promptly, treat him, and give the tug back.  If he won’t release it, try waving a treat under his nose the first few times.  Remember to give the tug right back.  If you are having difficulties getting him to release, read Donaldson’s book for some helpful ideas.
  5. The dogs are only allowed to re-take the tug when invited.  Have a cue like “take that tug.”  Use a clear, consistent command that the dog is unlikely to hear accidentally in some other context.  Garris prefers to ask for a calm behavior first, like sit, before issuing this prompt.  Donaldson call this taking “frequent obedience breaks.”
  6. The dogs only tug with their designated tug-toy.  This should not be a common household item or clothing!  I like a long, durable tug-toy, such as a large or extra-large Fuzzy-tugger or rope toy.  I would generally avoid using a stuffed animal for tug.  They are not very sturdy.  Also, if a toddler is visiting, you don’t want your dog to mistake the baby’s comfort-object for a tug!
  7. Excitement and fun, including play-growls, hard tugs, and head-shakes on my dogs’ part, and squealing and-hopping about on my part, are allowed (and even encouraged).  Behavior that could be injurious to either party is not.  I pull firmly but never yank in a way that could dislodge a canine tooth. I expect similar restraint on my dog’s part:  if a tooth so much as accidentally grazes my skin, I issue a sharp, low, “OUCH!” and make my dog give up the tug.  “OUCH!” is used whether the dog’s tooth hurt me or not: I want to remind him that human skin is very sensitive.  The dog can control his jaws!  I remove the tug and quit the game.  He will generally remember to be more careful next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment