Sunday, December 29, 2013

Useful behaviors to train: Handling exercises



Handling exercises

A puppy will usually let you handle him any way you want as long as you are gentle.  This does not guarantee he will always accept handling well.  You need to be able to handle him to brush him, bathe him, check his ears and teeth, and trim his nails.  Your veterinarian will need to do check the ears and teeth and much more.  Certain breeds such as Chows are notorious for reacting poorly to certain touches, especially on the feet and head, but you can train the puppy to tolerate such handling if you start when the pup is young.  Simply pretend you are the groomer or the vet, check the teeth, the ears, etc., and click and treat each time.  Don’t hold the clicker too close to those sensitive ears!  If your hands are too full of active puppy to hold the clicker, ask a friend to click, and even deliver the treats, as needed while you handle (then switch roles).  Or you can use a word that he is used to, like “yes,” instead.  Be sure to touch the ears, the tail, the feet, the top of the head, etc.  Pretend to clip his nails if he will hold still enough and click and treat.  Pretend you are a rambunctious child and pull the puppy’s tail, ear, skin, etc., gently.  Click and treat.  Hug the pup; click and treat.  Pick him up and do the same.
Adult rescues sometimes have had bad experiences with people, or have simply had no experience with bathing, brushing, etc., and might come with handling “issues” that must be dealt with.  But don’t despair.  Modern zoos use the clicker to safely train wild animals such as leopards and elephants to tolerate a certain amount of handling for examinations, nail-trimming, teeth-cleaning, etc.  You can certainly use this powerful tool to get adequate tolerance-levels from most dogs.
Terra, one of my current rescues, is a short-coated breed and had not had much grooming experience before I got him at 5 months old.  He accepted handling quite well but was terrified of the hairbrush!  I switched the style of brush to no avail.  He was still afraid of the brush!  I did not, however, force the issue, which would have made the problem worse.  I used a method called counterconditioning, instead.  Counterconditioning is a method where you try to replace a dog’s negative feelings about something (or someone) with positive ones. 
How to do that?  Well, luckily for me, Terra loves food!   I began by leaving the brush on the floor beside his food bowl for a few days at feeding times.  He got used the sight and smell of the brush, and he hopefully he began to associate the sight of the brush with happy times. 
When he got comfortable with the brush around the bowl, I carried the brush in my hand when I fed him.  He was comfortable with this.  If he had not been, I would have carried the brush in my pocket for a while, instead.  The point is not to elicit the fear response in the dog at all if possible. 
My next step was to put the brush in my lap while I sat and petted him and fed him treats.  Then I held the brush in one hand while doing the same.  I spent many sessions doing this until I was sure he was fairly relaxed and comfortable even when I held the brush close.  One day, holding the brush below his eye-level, I very lightly and quickly touched him (in between scratches) with the brush on the chest, where he most likes to be scratched, almost as if by accident.  I clicked and treated.  I proceeded with similar moves as long as he seemed comfortable.
Over the course of several sessions I got to the point where he would tolerate a light but longer brush-stroke on his chest.  Jackpot!  This seems like a lot of work, but it was worth the time and effort.  Terra from this point quickly learned that brushing is not a big deal, and allowed me to brush him in other areas, starting with his shoulders, moving down his sides, and doing sensitive areas like his head, tail, and feet, last.  We got to this point without a single struggle (and probably because we had never begun a struggle).  Now he loves it and eagerly races his canine friend, Aqua, to me whenever I shout, “brushies!”   You would not know he was the same dog.
Dogs that fear nail trimming can be handled much the same way.  Accustom them to the clipper, to the sound of the clipper, to their feet being handled, to the clipper held while their feet are being handled, etc.  Break it up into tiny steps that Fido can tolerate.  Pretend to trim each nail with an air-clip so he gets used to the sound.  Finally, take a quick clip of one nail and jackpot his success!  Be sure, especially in the beginning, not to cut the nail’s quick (which will cause bleeding and pain).[1]  Err on the side of caution and take a tiny snip. Over the course of several days, if necessary, work on one nail at a time until he is very confident.  Over the course of several grooming sessions, increase the number of nails you trim per session, until Fido will tolerate you clipping all the nails on one paw at a time. 


[1] Have a styptic pencil or powder handy to control bleeding in case you accidentally cut the nail’s quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment